Get speedy healthcare advice
Fri 06th May 20160
The NHS is encouraging people in Sunderland to visit a pharmacist if they need quick access to health advice and treatment.
With information on common illnesses and the best medicines to treat them, visiting the pharmacist can save time in the waiting room and help you feel better fast.
Many pharmacies will remain open over the bank holiday weekend, when other services may not be available.
NHS Sunderland Clinical Commissioning Group Clinical Chair and local GP Dr Ian Pattison said: “If you’re not feeling well, please take some time to consider where you should go to find help.
“That could mean getting advice from your local pharmacy, or dialling NHS 111 for more urgent, but not life-threatening, matters. Pharmacists offer expert, confidential advice and treatment for many minor health problems.
“And using pharmacies also takes the pressure off A&E departments in the region, freeing up staff there for real emergencies.”
Dr Craig Melrose, medical director at NHS England Cumbria and the North East, added: “Your local pharmacy can help you with more than you might think. Pharmacists offer expert, confidential advice and treatment for many minor health problems.
Urgent Care Centres
The below Urgent Care Centres are open Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm and from 8am to 10pm, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
- Washington Primary Care Centre, Parkway, Washington, NE38 7QZ
- Bunny Hill Primary Care Centre, Downhill, Sunderland, SR5 4BW
- Houghton Primary Care Centre, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 5HB
- Pallion Health Centre, Hylton Road, Sunderland, SR4 7XF
Information on walk-in centres, urgent care centres or minor injuries units can be found here. Patients can type in their postcode on the website to find their nearest services.
Dial 111 if:
- You need medical help fast, but it is not a 999 emergency
- You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service
- You do not know who to call for medical help or you do not have a GP to call
- You require health information or reassurance about what to do next